Sunday, May 2, 2010

ultimate love

This morning at church I witnessed the most genuine love I've ever seen. My eyes are always drawn to the babies during the service and Chris can always expect me to gush and whisper with a sigh, "Baby!" followed by "I miss my babies."

As the service was ending, we were all standing and singing songs, nothing new. I looked across the aisle and saw the sweetest scene I have ever seen in my life. I was literally brought to tears at the sight of the most genuine love I have ever seen...like I already said.

Remember the scenes in Titanic as the boat is sinking and people have pretty much figured out they're going to die? First there's the scene of the mother reading to her children then the scene of the old couple holding each other in bed. Take those two moments and squish them together and you have what I saw...sorta.

What I saw was a sweet little boy, maybe a year old, sleeping, snuggled between his grandparents. Grandma had one of his hands in hers and she caressed the top of his hand with her thumb, her head leaning over his. On the other side of the little boy was Grandpa, gently rubbing the little boy's other arm, his head also leaning over the little boy's head so that his head was almost bumping his wife's.

Besides the word love, the other word that comes to mind when I saw them was "safe." That is one little boy who was completely at peace and even as he woke up to the sounds of drums and guitars blasting through the shed, there was not a moment of fear in his eyes. He snuggled back in between them, sharing their laps, and went back to sleep. How safe he must've felt there in their arms, both of them smiling as they hugged their grandson. Honestly, I'm not sure, but these could have even been his great-grandparents. The couple had to be in their 80s and we saw the little boy before the service with another woman we assumed to be his grandma (she was carrying a bag with his face on it, typical grandma fashion).

That little boy is going to grow up never having any doubt that he is loved.

1 comment:

Elizabeth @claritychaos said...

You are so funny -- the typical grandma fashion bag. Perfect.

And you're right about those scenes from the Titanic. Geesh. I had forgotten about those.