Saturday, February 5, 2011

Envy.

I have spent so much of my life being envious of other people. Other people have more friends, are prettier, wear nicer clothes, drive better cars, live in bigger houses, are more popular, are more successful, have cameras I want...but tonight I came to the realization that there is so much that other people might be envious of me for and I am totally blowing it off and taking it all for granted.

One thing might be my husband. Maybe not Chris specifically, but maybe that I am in a very loving, long-lasting relationship with a man that has always treated me better than I deserve. He's an awesome husband and an awesome daddy and I've been blessed to have been with him for almost ten years. Some people dream of finding that perfect someone and never find it, or maybe they found it but it didn't last.

Another thing - and this is a biggy - is my children. I've been blessed with not just one child, but two children, the "perfect" boy followed by a girl, and despite being a surprise, a third baby on the way. I'm realizing that as I'm finding myself losing it with my kids several times a day, there are women who long to be able to yell at their kids and go through the exhaustion and sickness of pregnancy. Some women never experience being a mother to a little boy and I have one and others never experience being a mother to a little girl, and I have one of those too. Some women never experience being a mother at all and it's all they ever dream of being and here I am complaining to myself that I threw up yet again just from changing a diaper.

So while I may not be as smart, pretty, confident, popular, or successful as some women, I have a pretty awesome life and the most amazing family anyone could ask for and I need to buck up and quit complaining so much about the little annoyances that I deal with on a regular basis. It's time to stop thinking the grass is greener elsewhere and enjoy the snow-covered grass I have right in my own backyard.

2 comments:

Heather Davis said...

Beautifully written Liza!

Golden Mommy said...

I agree with Heather....very well written. We all struggle with the very things you struggle with at some level but many of us are just not that honest! Even in the midst of my current health trials, I find myself daily counting my blessings, which are many, and similar to yours...an awesome husband and wonderful kiddos, along with the basics that so many people would love to have like a warm home, clothing, and food.

Sorry this got a bit long, but I love what you wrote and can relate. I love you, Sis. :)