Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Baby Tres!

I just realized that I never actually announced Baby Tres' arrival on my blog!

Samuel Harrison was born on July 13, 2011, at 4:53pm. He weighed 6lbs 9oz and was 18" long.

To make a very long birth story relatively shorter, I'll attempt to give you the abridged version.

I had been having contractions on and off for several weeks - some that were incredibly intense and timeable and others that were just kind of annoying. I was also dealing with the issue that he was transverse up until the end and would constantly flip around.

On Monday, July 11, 2011, I started having regular contrax again that were lasting anywhere from 30-60 seconds and were about 3-7 minutes apart. They were getting more and more intense as time went on, so in the middle of the night, very early Tuesday morning, Chris and I headed into the hospital (G&G C came to stay with T&N).

I was dilated to 1-2 at that point and was told to do some walking, so that's what we did - walked. I was checked again and made it to a three, so we did some more walking, I had a bath, and they checked me again but I had made no progress. They monitored me for awhile but I wasn't making anymore progress, so they prepared to discharge me. At that point I was starting to feel really sick and had a terrible headache, like I had been drinking for days and had a killer hangover. They gave me a shot of Phenargan and sent me on my way. We got home around 7am on Tuesday the 12th and I was feeling terrible. I attempted to sleep for awhile but was still incredibly nauseous and felt like I couldn't breathe. I eventually threw up and could barely walk down the stairs so Chris brought me back to the ER.

Throughout the day the contractions continued but I was still making no progress so we decided to just do an induction. I was admitted to the hospital and wouldn't be leaving without my baby at that point, so there was relief there but I was really nervous about the induction. They started the pitocin around 7am on the 13th and by 4pm I was ready to push, but had to keep holding him in because my doc was trying to do two deliveries at once! Eventually we couldn't wait anymore so the back-up doc delivered my sweet son. At the time I didn't know, but he was born posterior. No wonder I wasn't making any progress!

He ended up with some pretty bad colic for several weeks, but regular trips to the chiropractor really helped him. He has these amazing chubby cheeks, eyes that have a slight slant to them (he looks slightly Asian LOL!) and the softest, fluffiest, tiniest bit of light brown hair.

He smiled at 7 weeks and now regularly smiles and laughs, especially if you make him clap his hands or you sing to him. He likes Pink Panther and Max and Ruby.

He is really upset at this moment, so I have to go and feed the little guy!

No comments: