Monday, July 26, 2010

Spotted Summer

At the endof May, Timmy & Natalie both came down with high fevers for no apparent reason. Nat's was around 102 and Timmy's got as high as 104. Nat's fever came on first, and because it wouldn't stay down and she was unbearably cranky, I took her into the doc to find out she had an ear infection. We got a script for Amoxicillin and were on our way. Within a day or two, Timmy's fever came on fast and furious. He had been refusing to eat and was unusually cranky and snuggly. I took the kids to see my sister (she's a PA), since it was the weekend, and as she was looking at Timmy, spots started forming on his face, hands and feet. She knew immediately that it was HFMD.

A few days after that, Natalie suddenly came down with a case of a spotted rash all over her body. I wasn't sure if she had HFMD or hives, so I took her to the doc and sure enough, she had hives as a reaction to the Amoxicillin. She was spotted from head to toe!



To top it off, it wasn't even two days later and Chris came down with HFMD. It's rare in adults, but I guess in my house we must share everything. It took awhile, but after a week or two, everyone was feeling better.

Until last week. I noticed that Timmy & Nat both had terrible spotty diaper rashes again and soon enough, little spots started forming on Natalie's face, hands, and feet. She had finally gotten HFMD. I looked at Timmy and he had little blisters on his hands and feet and was eating terribly at dinner again.

My kids both had HFMD - Timmy for the second time. Well, this time, I got it. My mouth is in so much pain and my throat is sore. I can't eat, talk, or swallow comfortably. I have little pokey blisters on my hands and feet. Why did we have to have such a spotty summer?

No comments: