Saturday, November 26, 2011

Laundry Fun!

I know, how can laundry be fun? Well, it is when you're mean. First of all, I actually love folding clothes. I am an odd duck.

Anyway, the point of my thread is to announce that I have gone all domestic and frugal even more by making my own laundry detergent! The wonderful girls over at Recycled Soup posted this recipe for making your own soap!

I cut their recipe in half and used 4 cups of washing soap, baking soda, and bar soap and 6 cups of Borax. I also used only 1/2 oz of fragrance oil (I found a nice Rain scent at Meijer, but it smelled really strong in the jar so I didn't want to over do it).

The most tedious part of the process is "shaving" or "shredding" the Fels-Naptha, but the kids had a blast "helping" me do it. They pretending to be shredding the soap while I really was doing it (with a Dollar Tree cheese shredder) and while I was shredding it the kids and I came up with a name for our very own Laundry Soap. Are you ready for this?

Lightning McPlex.

Yep - Lightning McQueen for Timmy and Plex for Natalie LOL.

I also have the ingredients to try out the fabric softener, but didn't make it yet. I will whip it up tomorrow and run my first load with my new soap and softener!

1 comment:

Recycled Soup said...

Wooo hooo how exciting!!!! I found laundry fun too when I started making my own. Even dishes are fun now that im expirementing with homemade soaps lol

My word is wentach but I read it as wench :D